Since 2005 a competition for composition has been organized for one of the categories of the international competition „Franz Schubert and Modern Music“. One year prior to the competition for chamber music interpretation one or two prizewinning works in the selected category are picked by an international jury. These works will be on the program of the compulsory repertoire of the respective category and will be performed (first) by the participants in the framework of the competition.
In 2005 a competition for composition was organized for the category „Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello“. In 2008, the category was „Duo for Violin and Piano“, and in 2011 it was „Piano Trio“. In 2014, too, the search of interesting new works will focus on the genre „Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello“. KUG specifically encourages the creation of new works for this chamber music category. 125 entries of young composers from 43 nations in 2011 prove impressively the success of this competition.
Chia CHOU, Beat FURRER, Gerd KÜHR, Andreas LINDENBAUM, Isabel MUNDRY, Wolfgang RIHM, Robert HÖLDRICH, Executive Vize-Rector of KUG (Chair). The official award ceremony will be scheduled as part of the 9th International Competition „Franz Schubert and Modern Music“ on February 12, 2015 in the Stefaniensaal, Grazer Congress.
Prize: € 5,000.-
The executive committee of the competition shall leave it up to the jury to split the prize and, if so, to present the award for two works.
In addition to the Cash Prize:
1. The award winning composition will be incorporated in the repertoire of the 3rd round of category „Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello“ of the 9th International Competition „Franz Schubert and Modern Music“ as compulsory piece of music. In the case of two prize winning works, the choice will be left to the participants.
2. The award winning composition will be performed at the Stefaniensaal of the Congress Graz at the prize winners concert, presented as part of the subscription series of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz.*
3. As with all previous editions, the 9th International Competition „Franz Schubert and Modern Music“ will be featured on the CD series „Klangebüts“, released by the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz. This CD, consisting of live recordings of the competition and of the prize winners concert, will also include the prize winning composition, performed by a selected finalist ensemble.*
4. All compositions submitted will be named in the publications relevant to the competition and incorporated in the Library of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz.
5. All prize winners will be invited to take part in the award ceremony. Travel and hotel expenses shall be paid by the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz.
* If the award has been split, the performance of the work in the 3rd round and/or in the concert of prize winners, and its recording on CD cannot be guaranteed.
Prizewinning works 2014
185 entries from 51 nations were accepted.
The jury met on July 8th, 2014 and decided to have two prize-winning pieces:
Strange Attractors (2014) composed by Juan de Dios Magdaleno (Mexico)
Resistance of elements (2014) composed by Ayaz Gambarli (Azerbaijan)
The award-winning composition will be incorporated in the repertoire of the 3rd round within the category “Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello” as a compulsory piece of music during the 9th International Competition “Franz Schubert and Modern Music” (February 4-12, 2015). So in the case of two prize-winning pieces one of these two compositions – as a free choice of the participating ensemble – will be performed by the piano trios in the 3nd round in MUMUTH (Haus für Musik und Musiktheater) in Graz on February 12, 2015.
The prize-money will be shared – that means each prize-winner will receive 2.500.- – and it will be awarded to both of them in the context of the winners presentation of the International Competition “Franz Schubert and Modern Music” on February 12, 2015, Stefaniensaal. We would like to express our cordial thanks to the sponsor of the prize money the GRAWE – Grazer Wechselseitige Versicherung AG.
Prizewinners & Prizewinning works 2005, 2008 & 2011
International Competition for Composition „Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello“ 2005:
„Affinity to Movement“ composed by Andrey KOMANETSKY (USA)
Morgenstern Trio playing Affinity to Movement
International Competition for Composition „Duo for Piano and Violin“2008:
„2 – 1“ composed by Andreas BESCHORNER (Germany)
So-Young KIM, Violine / So-Jin KIM, Klavier playing 2 – 1
International Competition for Composition „Trio for Piano, Violin and Violoncello“2011:
„Nel tempo della memoria?“ composed by Simone MOVIO (Italy)
Streeton Trio playing Nel tempo della memoria?
„I Waited for You in Rain“ composed by Hooshyar KHAYAM (Iran)
TRIO SUYANA playing I waited for you in rain
The live recordings of prizewinning works (with the exception of Streeton Trio’s interpretation) can be found on FS&MM’s official Audio CDs. For more information please click HERE.
Composer Workshop by Simone MOVIO and Hooshyar KHAYAM
Workshop for the participating piano trios, 8th FS&MM, February 2012.